Monday, February 14, 2011

Blog Entry the First


This is the very first time I write on this blog without a picture attached. I’m scared. Let’s see what happens. Let the writings begin.
I decided that I’m not going to do a weirdo entry where I introduce myself, why I’m here, where I’m going, and so on and so forth. I’m just going to write whatever pops into my head and hope me and my reasons for existence will just dance there in between the lines. Naked.
So what pops into my head now? Well I’ll tell you!   ….    ….    …. My fingertips are cold. Not my hands, not even my whole fingers, just the wee tips of them. This is an odd sensation. I pause my typing to warm them in the palms of my hands. My palms are now cold. I suppose my tip-fingers are warmer now, but I can’t tell even when they’re in my palms. I only notice to cold of the palm, not the warm of the tips. Hm.
Okay, transition to new thought! We had an interesting topic brought up the other day in a Harry Potter Club discussion. Yes, I brought it up. But it was still interesting and it went somewhere in the discussion, although it had nothing whatsoever to do with Harry Potter. I suppose it could relate in some way….but most things can relate to each other eventually anyway. This is the idea; it is admirable when a person lives their life the way they want to. To live completely based on our personal beliefs rather than the beliefs of society is what everyone ought to do. Yes. HOWEVER! When does that become wrong? I praise personal heroes such as Huckleberry Finn, Rafe Esquith, and Chris McCandless in their ability to live their lives fully based on their own ideas of life and how it should be lived, but I can’t praise others for doing the SAME THING just in a different way.
For example, there is a character in the short story, A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor, who lives his life this way. He has a set of beliefs that he lives completely by, without question. He knows who he is and he lives the only way he knows how; by murdering. Not because he is vengeful, but because that’s who he is. He believes killing people is what he is supposed to do and so he does it, with all his heart put into it.
This is not a good thing.
Why?
Because he’s killing people.
But he’s being true to himself.
He needs to start lying to himself.
Ha.
Yes, it is wrong to kill people. But this man apparently doesn’t think so. We, society, tell him it isn’t right and he disregards us and does it anyway, just like Huck Finn.
This obviously goes a lot deeper than society’s ethical opinion, but it still makes me think. When else is it wrong to live according to what you believe is right? It can’t only be when you’re hurting people….My brain is overloaded and so I will continue this discussion with myself at another time. But this is troubling me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment